How to play Blackjack
Blackjack is without a doubt the most popular casino banking game in the world. Unlike in poker, players compete against the dealer instead of each other. In some countries the game is known under the name twenty-one (21), simply because that's the amount of points you need for a perfect score.
In Roulette you take on the wheel, in Blackjack you work with a deck of 52 cards and try to best the dealer. The card game is great fun, which is why Vernons Casino offers you different versions to enjoy. Our Live Dealer Blackjack allows you to use your slight of hand against a real dealer and Ulimited Blackjack Live will take your game to a whole new level. On top of those we have a range of animated card games such as Progressive Blackjack and 21 Duel Blackjack, giving you more opportunities to turn the cards in your favour.
The dealer will start by dealing each player 2 cards face up. He gets one card himself which is shown face up so all participants can assess their best chance of winning. After each player has received his two cards, they can then decide to do one of the following:
|Hit||Take another card|
|Stand||End your turn.|
|Double||Double your bet, take one more card, end your turn.|
|Split||If both cards in your hand have the same value, split your bet and hand to make two.|
|Surrender||Withdraw from the game by relinquishing half of your bet|
Some of the above actions can be combined to get you the best possible chance of winning. There are different ways to win in Blackjack.
- Blackjack: your first 2 cards are an Ace and a 10 or face card, meaning you have reached 21 points. You can also achieve a total of 21 with more cards. Should the dealer also have a Blackjack, then it's a tie and your bet is returned.
- The value of your hand is higher than that of the dealer, but not higher than 21.
- The dealer goes bust because the cards in his hand exceed 21.
When trying to work out the best strategy to play Blackjack, remember that the dealer has to continue taking cards until his own hand has reached 17. Also, an Ace is a handy card to have as it can count as either 1 or 11. Face cards have a value of 10, all other cards count as the number they carry. Always be careful when taking a 'hit', because if you go bust, you've lost the game.
Did you know that...
- There is a Blackjack Hall of Fame, which can be found at the Barona Casino in San Diego?
- If a casino has more decks in play on a blackjack table, the house edge increases?
- Double Attack Blackjack allows you to increase your wager after seeing the dealer's first card?
- The first mention of the game 'twenty-one' comes from a Spanish book by Cervantes?